Today the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) released top line data from the latest 2013 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report (1). The report compiles statistics for cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery for the past year performed by plastic surgeons in the US. The number of cosmetic surgery procedures topped 15 million, up 3% from the previous year, and representing the 4th year in a row of growth.
The top 5 cosmetic surgery procedures were:
- Breast augmentation – silicone gel filled implants were used in 3/4 of women; new form stable, anatomical tear drop shaped implants are now available for aesthetic breast augmentation
- Rhinoplasty – also referred to as nasalplasty or nose reshaping
- Blepharoplasty – eyelid lift surgery for both upper and lower lids
- Liposuction – the most popular body contouring procedure
- Facelift – along with eyelid and neck lift surgeries was up 6%
The top 5 cosmetic minimally invasive procedures were:
- Botulinum toxin injections – brand names Botox® and Dysport®
- Soft tissue fillers – hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Juvederm®
- Chemical peels – for skin resurfacing
- Laser hair removal
As with any aesthetic procedure, choose a board certified surgeon who has specialty training and extensive experience in performing your plastic surgery treatment.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a female board certified plastic surgeon in NYC whose practice is dedicated to aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast and body. Our office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side offers a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, comfort and convenience of our patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
1. ASPS Press Release: “Plastic Surgery Procedures Continue Steady Growth in U.S.” February 26, 2014.