As all of us mothers know, pregnancy is not a walk in the park. What many of us don’t find out until after baby is born, is to what extent carrying the bundles of joy in our bellies for all those months impacts our body’s appearance. The primary effects are on the breasts and abdominal area, manifesting as various changes such as:
- drooping or sagging breasts
- stretched out skin and stretch marks
- loose belly muscles
- areas of fat around the waist or thighs
The exact changes depend on a host of factors including genetics (thank your parents), number of pregnancies, size of baby, pregnancy with multiples, breastfeeding, and skin quality. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle which incorporates nutritious diet and regular exercise is important for all women. Despite our best efforts, there are some aspects of our bodies that cannot be completely corrected with diet and exercise alone, even once we’ve lost all the pregnancy weight. Enters plastic surgery, with procedures offered as a “mommy makeover”, targeting the very areas that were affected by pregnancy:
- breast augmentation (“boob job”) – to restore volume to the breasts with saline or silicone implants
- breast lift – to reshape breasts for a perkier, more youthful appearance
- abdominoplasty (“tummy tuck”) – to tighten the rectus muscles and remove excess, stretched out skin from the belly
- liposuction – to eliminate stubborn fat from the abdomen, hips and thighs, and sculpt the body
These procedures may be combined in the appropriate patient. For instance, some women may benefit from a breast lift with placement of breast implants if they have downward pointing nipples in addition to volume loss in the breasts. Facial cosmetic surgery procedures, such as an eyelid lift to correct droopy eyelids or bags under the eyes, may also be performed safely in conjunction with plastic surgery on the body. Other procedures often performed concurrently with mommy makeovers include arm lift (brachioplasty), labiaplasty and fat grafting.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a female board certified plastic surgeon in NYC. She specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast and body with minimally invasive procedures and short scar surgery. Her office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side offers a fully accredited Operating Room for the safety, comfort and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in: Medical News