Focus on the Eyes: Eyelid Rejuvenation and Tear Trough Improvement
Some of the more common concerns women and men express about their faces pertain to the appearance of their eyes. Most often, signs of aging manifest as wrinkles, loose skin, droopy upper lids, or undereye bags. The area around the eyes, called the periorbital area, may be the first to betray a person’s age. With the recent advances in rejuvenation techniques, patients may now choose from a variety of options to address each and all of their concerns.
Problem areas around the eyes and possible corrective treatments include the following:
- Crows feet:
- Skin wrinkles at the outer corners of the eyes, produced by muscle contraction during smiling or squinting
- Botox is commonly used to diminish periorbital muscle activity and reduce wrinkles
- Hanging upper eyelids:
- Appears as hooding or excess overhanging skin, may produce loss of vision in upper gaze
- Concomitant condition called “ptosis” must be evaluated and ruled out
- Surgical intervention with upper eyelid lift (upper blepharoplasty), as well as possible brow lift to lift the eyebrows, and ptosis correction
- Tear trough prominence or deformity:
- Describes a depression appearing as dark lines or circles at bottom edge of lower eyelid, at junction of lid and cheek skin
- Treatment may include combination of fillers to camouflage bony edge: Juvederm, fat injections; and skin rejuvenation procedures: microneedling +/- platelet rich plasma (PRP) or laser resurfacing
- Lower eyelid bags:
- Due to bulging of fat inside lower eyelids, and thinning and loosening of lower eyelid skin
- Best treated with lower eyelid lift from inside the lower eyelid (transconjunctival blepharoplasty), leaving no visible scar
- Lower eyelid skin excess:
- Aging and sun exposure produce loose, thin, crepey skin, and excess wrinkling of lower eyelid skin
- Treatment options include skin tightening with microneedling or platelet rich plasma (PRP), and surgical excision of excess skin with skin pinch surgery or lower eyelid lift (transcutaneous blepharoplasty)
A comprehensive examination by and discussion with your plastic surgeon are essential before deciding which procedure or combination of treatments is best for you. Choose an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid rejuvenation options.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a female board certified plastic surgeon in NYC with advanced specialized fellowship training in aesthetic plastic surgery. Her private practice on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is dedicated to cosmetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body, using the most advanced techniques and shortest scars to produce natural results. Our office off Park Avenue is equipped with a fully AAAASF certified Operating Room for the safety, privacy, and convenience of our patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Blepharoplasty - Eyelid Lift, Botox, Eyes, Face, Facial Creases, Lines and Wrinkles, Fat Grafts - Fat Injections, Fillers to Regain Youthful Face, Juvederm, Loose Skin, Manhattan Plastic Surgeon, New York City Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgery for Men, Plastic Surgery in Older Patients, Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), Skin, Skin Rejuvenation, Uncategorized