Beyond Brotox: More Men Choosing Plastic Surgery
The number of plastic surgery procedures continues to increase across the U.S., and here in NYC we are seeing more and more men coming into the office for various rejuvenation and beauty treatments. Men of all age groups, from millennials to baby boomers, represent an ever greater percentage of patients seeking aesthetic procedures, despite the fact that women still comprise the majority of cosmetic surgery patients. For some men, especially those in the younger demographic who are more concerned about prevention and delaying the aging process, the focus is on non-invasive treatments with little to no down time, which may provide a noticeable improvement in their appearance. For others, men who are professionally and socially active and wish to stay in the game and remain competitive, surgical options may be preferred in order to help them look their best.
- Men most often notice the effects of aging around their eyes, as their upper eyelids become droopy, heavy, or sagging. This may result in their appearing tired or sleepy. Some men also notice bags under their eyes or excess, crepey skin in the lower eyelids. All of these concerns may be corrected with upper and lower eyelid lift surgery (blepharoplasty).
- Eyelid lifts will remove excess skin and fat from the upper and/or lower eyelids and produce a younger appearance to the eyes and face. In some patients, a brow lift may be indicated to correct eyebrows that are too low.
- Blepharoplasty produces immediate and permanent results
- Men may notice a number of different concerns including excess or loose skin under the chin or in the neck area, submental fullness or a double chin, or a turkey gobbler appearance, along with loss of definition of the jawline.
- Minimally invasive surgery with microsuction of the neck will remove excess submental fat, better define the jawline, and improve neck contour.
- Surgical intervention with a neck lift will remove excess skin and fat, correct jowling, tighten neck muscles, and produce a significant improvement in overall neck contour.
- When additional rejuvenation of the face is indicated, a neck lift may be combined with a facelift or fat injections to provide additional improvement in facial appearance.
- Non-surgical injection with Kybella dissolves the fat under the chin, and may be indicated in younger patients with limited fullness who do not want to pursue a surgical alternative
- The most popular body contouring procedures for men are correction of gynecomastia and liposuction.
- Gynecomastia correction, also called male breast reduction, removes abnormal breast tissue in men, or “man boobs”, that often develop in adolescent boys or in adult males. It usually involves liposuction and possibly additional surgical excision of breast tissue with a small incision around the nipple. In more severe cases where there is significant excess skin, a more extensive surgical procedure may be required.
- Liposuction is most often performed on the flanks (“love handles”), abdomen, upper arms, and thighs. Liposuction permanently removes excess fat and allows for overall body contouring or liposculpture.
- In addition to sunscreen and topical creams, men have been undergoing non-invasive procedures such as Botox injections, and microneedling treatments to eliminate wrinkles and improve overall skin quality
- Botox should be administered in precise increments to produce the desired result without changing the masculine appearance of the face. By preventing facial muscle contraction, Botox treats frown lines, forehead wrinkles, and crows feet. It may also be used to produce a subtle brow lift and improve eyelid appearance.
- For skin rejuvenation, the most effective treatment is microneedling, which may be performed with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections. Microneedling is a method of Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), that stimulates collagen and elastin production and results in smoother, younger looking skin. PRP adds concentrated growth factors which have an additional beneficial effect on the appearance of the skin. Microneedling combined with PRP reduces fine wrinkles and age spots, produces tighter, firmer skin, and improves skin tone as well as the appearance of acne scars and other skin irregularities.
- Many noninvasive treatments are complementary to plastic surgical procedures, and can improve the final results that are ultimately achieved with cosmetic surgery.
No matter what your age or motivation for seeking out aesthetic services, there are numerous options to help you look your best. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic surgery to help you make the right decision about which procedures are best for you.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a board certified plastic surgeon in New York City with advanced specialized fellowship training in aesthetic plastic surgery. Her practice on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is dedicated to aesthetic surgery of the face, breast, and body and offers the full spectrum of plastic surgery services. Our office is equipped with a fully AAAASF certified Operating Room for the safety, privacy, and convenience of our patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Anti-aging, Blepharoplasty - Eyelid Lift, Body Contouring, Botox, Breast Reduction, Face, Facelift, Facial Creases, Lines and Wrinkles, Fat Removal, Forehead Wrinkles, Frown Lines, Gynecomastia, Liposuction, Loose Skin, Love Handles, Male Breasts, Male Chest, Manhattan Plastic Surgeon, Neck Lifts, New York City Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgery for Men, Plastic Surgery in Older Patients, Plastic Surgery in Teenagers and Adolescents, Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), Reduced Breasts, Rhinoplasty, Skin Rejuvenation, Uncategorized