Are Surgical or Non-Invasive Options Best?
There seems to be an ever increasing number of non-invasive, non-surgical procedures that claim to remove fat, tighten skin, and produce incredible results. Some of the technologies are modifications on well established treatments, such as laser skin resurfacing. Others use modalities such as light therapy, focused ultrasound, cryotechnology (freezing), radiofrequency and magnetic pulses to tighten, lift and shape. Patients are often left baffled or confused about which would be the best aesthetic procedure for them.
When evaluating options for improving your appearance, you should be aware of the following general distinctions.
Non-invasive procedures usually:
- incur less down time for recovery
- require multiple treatments and repeat visits
- may not require anaesthesia with sedation but may be quite painful without it
- produce results that are temporary and only minimal
- cost less per session but total costs may be significant due to number of sessions needed
Surgical procedures usually:
- require days or weeks for complete recovery
- can be done in one session alone
- require local anaesthesia with sedation or general anaesthesia
- produce significant and long lasting results
- cost more but require only one operative session
Surgical and non-invasive procedures are not mutually exclusive, and some may be combined to correct different issues. Surgical techniques used in cosmetic surgery have also evolved, with newer concepts focusing on addressing skin quality as well as soft tissue volume to provide the best results. For instance, minimally invasive procedures such as fat grafting can be incorporated into the surgical plan to optimize the aesthetic outcome.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a board certified female plastic surgeon in NYC with a practice dedicated to aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast and body. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in: Medical News