Timing Your Plastic Surgery: Scheduling and Recovery Considerations
- Posted on: Oct 28 2013
Among the many variables involved in planning any plastic surgery procedure, an important one is when to schedule your surgery. Minimally invasive cosmetic procedures such as Botox, fillers and skin rejuvenation only require minimal preparation. For most aesthetic surgical procedures however, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, proper diet and nutrition, and avoidance of smoking and medications which can potentially cause bleeding after surgery are essential to a successful outcome. In addition, recovery times vary for plastic surgical procedures, and you should keep this in mind when deciding when is the best time for you to undergo surgery and when you will be seeing the final results.
Here are pertinent details related to various aesthetic procedures:
- Botox: minimal discomfort, results may take up to 10 days for full effect, wrinkle reduction lasts 3-6 months depending on area treated (e.g. frown lines, crow’s feet)
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers (Juvéderm Ultra, Juvéderm Ultra Plus): minimal discomfort, immediate effects, fullness and wrinkle reduction last 6-12 months
- Eyelid Lift (Blepharoplasty): minimal to moderate discomfort, results immediate once swelling subsides (usually within 1 week), eyelid rejuvenation lasts years
- Neck Lift and Facelift: moderate discomfort, results immediate once swelling subsides (usually within 2 weeks), facial rejuvenation lasts years
- Liposuction: moderate discomfort, results require several weeks to months for final body contouring and skin shrinkage, fat removal is permanent
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): significant discomfort, recovery requires 4 weeks of down time, results visible after 2 weeks, abdominal contouring is permanent
- Breast Augmentation – Implants Under the Breast (Subglandular Implants): moderate discomfort, 2 week recovery, results immediately visible and last years
- Breast Augmentation – Implants Under the Muscle (Submuscular Implants): significant discomfort, 4 week recovery, results immediately visible and last years
- Breast Reduction and Breast Lift (Mastopexy): moderate discomfort, 2 week recovery, results immediately visible and last years
These are normal recovery times, although there will be individual patient variations based on the specific operation performed. Discussing potential complications of any procedure with your plastic surgeon is essential for you to understand what you may need to consider in case of less than perfect post-operative course.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a board certified female plastic surgeon in NYC with a practice dedicated to aesthetic surgery of the face, breast and body. Her office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side offers a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, privacy and comfort of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in: Medical News