Many Options For Breast Augmentation
- Posted on: Jul 1 2013
If you’re thinking about getting breast implants, there are a number of important questions you must ask. The answers depend on the ultimate appearance you are trying to achieve, the specific characteristics of your breasts, and the likelihood of potential complications associated with each type of implant. With your plastic surgeon, you may now choose between a wide variety of saline and silicone round and shaped implants. Of the latter, the 3 types of implants available in the US are Allergan 410 Natrelle, Sientra, and Mentor MemoryShape highly cohesive silicone (“gummy bear”) implants.
Here are a few questions to consider:
- How big do I want my breasts to be? How much bigger is that than what they are now?
- Do I want saline or silicone implants?
- If I prefer silicone implants, do I want round silicone gel or cohesive anatomically shaped implants?
- How much do I want my breasts to protrude form my chest?
- Do I want my implants to be under the muscle or under the breast tissue?
- Is the shape or the feel of the implants more important to me?
- How important is it to me to avoid complications, such as capsular contracture and implant rupture?
- Do I want the scar under the breast, around the nipple or in the armpit?
- How important is it to me to have the shortest scar possible?
- How concerned am I about feeling rippling or the edges of the implants?
You may not have a definite answer for these questions, and extensive discussion with your plastic surgeon prior to breast augmentation will help you sort through the various options. In addition, make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in breast augmentation surgery, and performs these aesthetic operations on a regular basis.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a board certified aesthetic plastic surgeon in NYC and offers breast augmentation with saline and silicone implants, including revision breast augmentation surgery. Her office off Park Avenue on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is equipped with a fully accredited AAAASF certified Operating Room. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in: Medical News