Rhinoplasty: Subtle Changes Yield Major Improvement
- Posted on: Jan 17 2016
The nose is an important feature of a person’s face, by virtue of its position in the very center of the face and often attracting the eye of the beholder. Physiologically, the nose is crucial in functioning as the breathing mechanism. In addition, there are specific aesthetic attributes of the nose that can increase the attractiveness of both women’s and men’s faces. Rhinoplasty, also called nose surgery, nose job, or nasalplasty, can correct both the visible, external cosmetic aspects of the nose as well as the internal features that control air flow and breathing. It is delicate, complex surgery that can address any or all of the different components of the nose, including such features as a bony hump, crooked nose, boxy tip, or septal deviation. Subtle surgical changes can produce significant improvement in the appearance of the nose and the face overall. Patients from teens to adults of all ages may be appropriate candidates for nasal plastic surgery and obtain great results.
Some of the most commonly performed cosmetic nasal plastic surgery procedures that can improve the shape and size of the nose include:
- bony hump reduction, where the bridge of the nose can be lessened or lowered
- straightening the crooked nose, by using a combination of techniques including deviated septum repair
- narrowing the nose, at the root, nostrils, or along the entire length
- decreasing or increasing either the length or projection of the nose
- tip plasty, creating a less boxy tip, correcting the plunging or droopy tip, or producing a more upturned tip
- nasal fracture repair, fixing recently or previously broken nose, the bones back into place, and smoothing out any bumps
- non-surgical rhinoplasty to augment the root of the nose with fillers such as Juvederm and create a straight profile
There are numerous techniques available to achieve the exact results you are looking for when it comes to improving any aspect of your nose. Rhinoplasty surgery may be performed either as a closed technique with no visible scars, or an open technique which may be indicated in revision nasal surgery or complicated procedures. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in performing cosmetic surgery of the nose is essential in understanding which options may be best for you. Rhinoplasty may be performed in conjunction with other aesthetic plastic surgery procedures such as eyelid lift, chin implants, facelift, or neck lift.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top ranked, board certified plastic surgeon in New York City with advanced specialized training in aesthetic plastic surgery. Her practice focuses on cosmetic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the office is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, convenience, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.