February 1st, 2016
If you’re one of the millions of women who is either considering or has already undergone breast augmentation surgery, you may be hearing stories about complications, revisions, and recommendations after surgery. Although every patient’s experience will be different, there are certain concepts circulating among the lay population that are not based on scientific data. Here are a few common myths and misconceptions that should help set the record straight, and also put your mind at ease.
- “Breast implants should be replaced every 10 years” FALSE. Breast implants, whether saline or silicone, may or may not need to be replaced, but this depends on whether they have leaked or ruptured, become painful or distorted, or if capsular contracture has developed. If your implants look and feel fine, and you are happy with them, there is no set time for mandatory scheduling of breast implant replacement or removal surgery.
- “If I have a mammogram my implants will rupture.” FALSE. Although breast implants are not guaranteed to last forever and never to leak or rupture, undergoing routine mammography is not normally associated with causing implant failure. The silicone shell of the implants is extremely strong and can withstand large forces and pressure. In addition, special views are done in order for mammograms to show as much breast tissue as possible behind and around the implants.
- “Silicone gel implants are better than saline implants”, or “Smooth implants are better than textured implants”, or “Round implants are better than anatomic implants.” IT DEPENDS. Although there is no overall “best” implant, there are hundreds of choices of implants based on size, shape, and fill. To decide which one may be best for you, your best approach is to have a comprehensive consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation, and can discuss all the options with you.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a female board certified plastic surgeon in New York City with advanced specialized training in aesthetic plastic surgery. Her practice on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is dedicated to aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Her office off Park Avenue in NYC boasts a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, comfort, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Allergan Breast Implants, Allergan Natrelle Breast Implants, Breast Augmentation, Breast Enhancement, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants, Manhattan Breast Implants, Manhattan Breast Plastic Surgeon, Manhattan Plastic Surgeon, Medical News, Mentor Breast Implants, New York City Breast Implants, New York City Breast Plastic Surgeon, New York City Plastic Surgeon, Saline Breast Implants, Sientra Breast Implants, Silicone Breast Implants | No Comments »
January 27th, 2016
1 and 2: before Photoshop 3 and 4: after Photoshop: how many changes can you spot?
We are surrounded by and constantly exposed to images of absolutely fabulous looking women and men, with flawless skin, perfect proportions, ideal contours. Whether in printed materials, magazine glossies, or the plethora of internet sites and social media platforms, images of perfect faces and exceptionally thin and fit bodies abound. While it is certainly possible to improve our appearance by any number of means, including makeup and hair makeovers, facials and spa treatments, and diet and physical exercise, it is nonetheless important to maintain realistic expectations when it comes to achieving results. The same holds true for plastic surgery procedures, which offer many options for improvement, and are best suited for patients who understand what is possible.
The use of image altering applications and programs has had a significant impact on the pictures shared on facebook, twitter, instagram, and the like. For younger patients, teenagers and young adults in particular, who may be sorting out their own sense of identity, this is an important consideration. All patients in general, and teens and adolescents most importantly, should be educated in differentiating between results that may be accomplished via computer imaging modification as opposed to those that may be obtained by actual cosmetic surgery procedures, such as rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, and liposuction.
This YouTube video shows the extraordinary – and realistically, impossible – transformation of a model with Photoshop tools to change her face and body into an ideal creation.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top rated female plastic surgeon in New York City who specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. She is board certified in plastic surgery and has advanced fellowship training in aesthetic surgery. Her office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side in NYC is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, privacy, and comfort of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Body Contouring, Breast Augmentation, Breast Enhancement, Breast Implants, Face, Liposuction, Manhattan Plastic Surgeon, New York City Breast Implants, Plastic Surgery in Teenagers and Adolescents, Plastic Surgery in Younger Patients, Rhinoplasty | No Comments »
January 19th, 2016
If you’re like most of us, part of your New Year’s resolution likely involves some form of self improvement. Whether embarking on a new diet, adding to your exercise routine, or making sure you’re taking care of your health, it’s not alway easy to reach your goals. However, there are some goals that remain elusive despite strict adherence to proper nutrition and regular exercise. In these instances, plastic surgery can provide that extra benefit. For instance, if you don’t feel comfortable in your workout clothes, especially if you feel embarrassed and self conscious about extra bulk in the pubic area, it makes the task of exercising all the more daunting. Rest assured, you’re not alone, there are many women who share your concerns. In fact, labiaplasty is one of the fastest growing procedures in plastic surgery. As part of feminine rejuvenation procedures, labiaplasty allows for removal of excess tissue of the labia minora, reducing extra skin creating hooding of the clitoris, and contouring the labia majora to produce a more shapely, less droopy appearance.
In addition to labiaplasty, other cosmetic surgery procedures may contribute to giving you a better body this year. Liposuction, for example is a great procedure that targets those stubborn areas of fat that do not disappear despite your best efforts with diet and exercise. As an adjunctive procedure with labiaplasty, it can be used to contour the pubic mons and the inner thighs, to create the elusive “thigh gap”. Most often liposuction is used to improve the abdomen, thighs, or hips (“saddle bags”), and to correct love handles in men. In patients who also have extra loose skin, or stretch marks, a tummy tuck may be performed in conjunction with liposuction to remove excess belly skin. Make sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery to discuss which options and alternatives are best for you.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top rated board certified female plastic surgeon with advanced specialized fellowship training in aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Her office is located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side in New York City and boasts a fully AAAASF certified Operating Room for the safety, privacy, and comfort of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Abdominoplasty - Tummy Tuck - Liposuction, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Body Contouring, Labiaplasty, Liposuction, Medical News, New York City Plastic Surgeon, Tummy Tuck | No Comments »
January 17th, 2016
The nose is an important feature of a person’s face, by virtue of its position in the very center of the face and often attracting the eye of the beholder. Physiologically, the nose is crucial in functioning as the breathing mechanism. In addition, there are specific aesthetic attributes of the nose that can increase the attractiveness of both women’s and men’s faces. Rhinoplasty, also called nose surgery, nose job, or nasalplasty, can correct both the visible, external cosmetic aspects of the nose as well as the internal features that control air flow and breathing. It is delicate, complex surgery that can address any or all of the different components of the nose, including such features as a bony hump, crooked nose, boxy tip, or septal deviation. Subtle surgical changes can produce significant improvement in the appearance of the nose and the face overall. Patients from teens to adults of all ages may be appropriate candidates for nasal plastic surgery and obtain great results.
Some of the most commonly performed cosmetic nasal plastic surgery procedures that can improve the shape and size of the nose include:
- bony hump reduction, where the bridge of the nose can be lessened or lowered
- straightening the crooked nose, by using a combination of techniques including deviated septum repair
- narrowing the nose, at the root, nostrils, or along the entire length
- decreasing or increasing either the length or projection of the nose
- tip plasty, creating a less boxy tip, correcting the plunging or droopy tip, or producing a more upturned tip
- nasal fracture repair, fixing recently or previously broken nose, the bones back into place, and smoothing out any bumps
- non-surgical rhinoplasty to augment the root of the nose with fillers such as Juvederm and create a straight profile
There are numerous techniques available to achieve the exact results you are looking for when it comes to improving any aspect of your nose. Rhinoplasty surgery may be performed either as a closed technique with no visible scars, or an open technique which may be indicated in revision nasal surgery or complicated procedures. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in performing cosmetic surgery of the nose is essential in understanding which options may be best for you. Rhinoplasty may be performed in conjunction with other aesthetic plastic surgery procedures such as eyelid lift, chin implants, facelift, or neck lift.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top ranked, board certified plastic surgeon in New York City with advanced specialized training in aesthetic plastic surgery. Her practice focuses on cosmetic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the office is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, convenience, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Face, Juvederm, Plastic Surgery for Men, Plastic Surgery in Teenagers and Adolescents, Rhinoplasty | No Comments »
January 14th, 2016
Plastic surgery is an art and a science, and as an artist the plastic surgeon aims to create a beautiful result for the patient. When it comes to body contouring, several procedures allow patients to obtain the look they wish to achieve. Women may be concerned about the shape or size of their breasts, loose skin around their belly, arms, or thighs, or stubborn fat on the abdomen and flanks, hips, and legs. Men may also have concerns about body shape, most often love handles or enlarged breasts (gynecomastia).
The following plastic surgery procedures can produce significant improvement in body shape and contour. For women, most common body sculpting procedures are:
- breast augmentation with saline or silicone implants, to increase bust size and restore perkiness to breasts
- breast lift with or without implants, to correct droopiness
- breast reduction to lessen bulky breasts and diminish back and neck pain caused by overly large breasts
- labiaplasty to reshape and reduce the labia minora or labia majora
- liposuction to remove excess fat and restore natural curves around the arms, belly, hips, and thighs
- tummy tuck to tighten abdominal muscles that have been stretched out from pregnancy and remove loose belly fat
- arm lift, thigh lift and body lift to eliminate excess skin and reshape the upper and lower body
Men may benefit from the following procedures aimed at improving their torso and fix common problem areas:
- gynecomastia surgery to correct enlarged breasts and remove excess skin
- liposuction to eliminate double chins, or remove excess fat from around the flanks and abdomen
- total body lift to reshape the lower body after significant weight loss
If you’re considering improving any part of your body with plastic surgery, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in aesthetic surgery procedures.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top rated board certified female plastic surgeon in New York City with advanced fellowship training in aesthetic plastic surgery. Her practice on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is dedicated to cosmetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Dr. Hutchinson’s office off Park Avenue offers a fully AAAASF certified Operating Room for the safety, convenience, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Abdominoplasty - Tummy Tuck - Liposuction, Body Contouring, Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, Breast Reduction, Gynecomastia, Labiaplasty, Love Handles, Male Breasts, Male Chest, Manhattan Plastic Surgeon, New York City Breast Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgery for Men, Tummy Tuck | No Comments »
January 8th, 2016
Out with the old, in with the new. The New Year brings with it a sense of renewal, moving forward, changes for the better. Hence the tradition of making a resolution and setting new goals towards which to strive. Often these include some aspect of life improvement – lose weight, exercise more, eat better, lead a healthier lifestyle. In keeping with this concept, many women and men also consider beauty treatments to improve their appearance. From simple procedures that require no down time, such as facial peels, microneedling, Botox, and fillers, to more complex plastic surgery such as eyelid lifts, breast augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tucks, patients now have a plethora of options to choose from. When performed correctly by qualified surgeons, plastic surgery procedures are generally safe and effective and may also improve a person’s self-esteem.
If you’ve been thinking about some physical attribute you would like to change or enhance, or are considering cosmetic surgery to make you look younger and feel better, the best place to start is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in aesthetic surgery. Look for a surgeon who is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), which can easily be verified on their website: www.surgery.org.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top ranked board certified female plastic surgeon in NYC with advanced specialized training in aesthetic surgery. Her practice focuses on cosmetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Her office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, convenience, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Medical News | No Comments »
December 1st, 2015
Happy December! The holiday season is upon us. Now that we’ve finished our Thanksgiving celebration, online shopping craze on Cyber Monday, and giving to charity on Giving Tuesday, it’s time to focus on the next few weeks – and looking great for upcoming festive get togethers! Here are a few quick and easy, last minute touch ups that can get you on your way to looking fabulous and glamorous no matter what your social calendar demands.
- Skin rejuvenation: in office medical treatments such as Micro Skin Repair and chemical peels produce immediate, visible results and require no down time. These better-than-a-facial beautification procedures improve skin texture, reduce superficial wrinkles, and cause skin tightening.
- Wrinkle reduction: Botox is a tried and tested product that decreases muscle activity to lessen wrinkles in the face. Typically great results are obtained when used to treat frown lines and crows feet, as well as forehead wrinkles. Botox also diminishes underarm sweating and creates the appearance of smoother skin.
- Restore lost volume: fillers such as Juvederm create immediate correction of tear trough deformities, laugh lines, and other contour depressions in the face. As a longer lasting alternative, fat grafts may be used to add volume in the cheeks and face for overall rejuvenation. Fat contains stem cells which also improves skin texture and appearance.
Consult with your plastic surgeon to discuss which of these procedures is best suited for your specific needs and wishes. Considering alternative treatment procedures allows to better choose the best procedures, and combinations thereof, to produce the best results.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top rated board certified female plastic surgeon in NYC whose practice is dedicated to aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Her office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, convenience, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery NYC, Botox, Face, Facial Creases, Lines and Wrinkles, Fat Grafts - Fat Injections, Frown Lines, Juvederm, New York City Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgery for Men, Skin Rejuvenation | No Comments »
November 18th, 2015
A recent study in the Annals of Internal Medicine examines the possible health risks associated with silicone breast implants. Breast augmentation surgery is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in the US, and last year alone nearly 300,000 women underwent the operation. There are known risks and complications from breast augmentation, with either saline or silicone gel implants, such as infection and capsular contracture. No long term health risks of breast implants have been conclusively established, and the current study also corroborates previous studies which found no increase in the potential development of systemic illness, such as autoimmune diseases or cancer, in women with implants.
In most cases, breast augmentation surgery yields highly satisfied patients who are very happy with the results of their surgery. Prior studies have shown a significant increase in the self-esteem of patients following breast augmentation surgery. There are numerous implant choices available for patients, including a broad spectrum of sizes and projections, round and anatomical shape, smooth and textured surface, and a range of low to high projection. Choosing the right implant style for each individual patient is a complex process, and making the appropriate decision often yields outstanding results and extremely pleased patients.
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a top rated board certified female plastic surgeon in NYC with a private practice that focuses on aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Her office conveniently located off Park Avenue on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, comfort, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Medical News | No Comments »
November 17th, 2015
Cosmetic surgery offers many women and men the possibility of improving aspects of their appearance. Some procedures can be performed with minimal downtime, quick recovery, and great results. Female athletes are a subgroup of our plastic surgery patients and are also concerned about their looks. Their age ranges from teenagers to mature women, and they engage in both individual or team sports. Their activities include running, yoga, spinning, tennis or squash, gymnastics, dance, and other aerobic pursuits. Athletes are generally already in good physical condition, and wish to target some specific attributes of their bodies in order to improve their self-image or performance. In addition, athletic clothing like Lululemon – also referred to as leisurewear – is seeing a significant increase in its portion of the clothing market. Form fitting clothing and tight, body hugging styles have led to an increased self-awareness of how women look in their workout attire.
Among the most frequently requested procedures for women athletes are:
- Breast Reduction: produces smaller, perkier breasts, which are less heavy, bounce less, and do not interfere with upper body movement; may also improve quality of life and ability to participate in exercise
- Labiaplasty: reduces the size and bulk of the labia, decreases discomfort associated with spinning classes (e.g. Soulcycle, Flywheel, and Peloton), cycling, and horseback riding, and lessens bulging in leggings, yoga, and lycra or spandex clothing
- Liposuction: targets areas where fat persists despite proper diet and regular exercise, frequently the saddle bags (outer thighs), inner thighs, and abdomen
- Breast augmentation: increases bust size, improves breast shape, and replaces breast volume lost due to weight loss
Dr. Olivia Hutchinson is a board certified female plastic surgeon in NYC with advanced fellowship training in aesthetic plastic surgery of the face, breast, and body. Her office on Manhattan’s Upper East Side is equipped with a fully certified AAAASF Operating Room for the safety, convenience, and privacy of her patients. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Hutchinson, please contact us or call us at (212) 452-1400.
Posted in Medical News | No Comments »
November 11th, 2015
In honor of Armistice Day, commemorating the end of World War I on November 11th 1918, we wish to thank and honor all the brave men and women who have selflessly served our country to defend our freedom. In cooperation with American Society of Plastic Surgery affiliated programs such as Iraqi Star Foundation, we provide pro bono plastic surgery and reconstructive procedures for wounded soldiers, including scar revision and cosmetic repairs.
Posted in Medical News | No Comments »